Nano-CoFe2O4 is an active, stable, and reusable catalyst for selective oxidations of alcohols applying Oxone (potassium hydrogen monopersulfat) as oxidant in the presence of acetonitrile as the solvent at room temperature. Primary and secondary aromatic and aliphatic alcohols gave the corresponding products in good yields. In addition, the catalysts could be reused up to 6 runs without significant loss of activities. Catalyst was characterized by SEM, XRD and IR.
Key words: Nanomagnetic Catalyst; Oxidation; Alcohols; Acetonitrile; Cobalt ferrite; Oxone.
- D. Patel, J.Y. Moon, Y. Chang, T.J. Kim, G.H. Lee, “Poly (d,l-lactide-co-glycolide)coated superparamagnetic iron oxide nanoparticles: Synthesis, characterization and in-vivo study as MRI contrast agent”, Colloid. Surf. A, 91, pp.313–314, 2008.
- M. Zhao, L. Josephson, Y. Tang, R. Weissleder, “Magnetic Sensors for Protease Assays”, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 42, pp.1375-1378, 2003.
- S. Mornet, S. Vasseur, F. Grasset, P. Veverka, G. Goglio, A. Demourgues, “Magnetic Nanoparticle Design for Medical Applications”, Solid State Chem., 34, pp. 237-247, 2006.
- P.D. Stevens, J. Fan, H.M.R. Yen, M. Gardimalla, Y. Gao, “Superparamagnetic Nanoparticles Supported Catalysis of Suzuki Cross Coupling Reactions”, Org. Lett., 7, pp. 2085-2088, 2005.
- Y. Jun, J. Choi, “Heterostructured Magnetic Nanoparticles: Their Versatility and High Performance Capabilitie”, J. Cheon. Chem. Commun., 12, pp.1203-1214, 2007.
- P. Chutia, S. Kato, T. Kojima, S. Satokawa, “Synthesis and characterization of Co(II) and Cu(II) supported complexes of 2-pyrazinecarboxylic acid for cyclohexene oxidation”, Polyhedron, 28, pp. 370-380, 2009.
- J.A. Melero, R.V. Grieken, G. Morales, “Advances in the synthesis and catalytic applications of organosulfonic-functionalized mesostructured materials”, Chem. Rev., 106, pp. 3790-3812, 2006.
- D. Astruc, F. Lu, J.R. Aranzaes, “Nanoparticles as Recyclable Catalysts: The Frontier between Homogeneous and Heterogeneous Catalysis”, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 44, pp. 7852-7872, 2005.
- S. Mornet, S. Vasseur, F. Grasset et E. Duguet, “Magnetic nanoparticle design for medical diagnosis and therapy”, J. Mater. Chem., 14, pp. 2161-2175, 2004.
- B. M. Trost, I. Eds. Fleming, “Comprehensive Organic Synthesis (Oxidation) ”, Pergamon Press: New York, 7, PP. 389–436, 1991.
- R.A. Sheldon, J.K. Kochi, “Metal-catalyzed Oxidation of OrganicCompounds”, Academic, New York, 1981.
- R.A. Sheldon, I.W.C.E. Arends, U. Isabel, “Green Chemistry and Catalysis”, Wiley–VCH, 2007.
- S.Y. Zhao, D. K. Lee, C. W. Kim, H. G. Cha, Y. H. Kim, Y. S. Kang, “Synthesis of Magnetic Nanoparticles of Fe3O4 and CoFe2O4 and Their Surface Modification by Surfactant Adsorption”, Bull. Korean Chem. Soc., 27, pp. 237-242, 2006.