Acclimation of nitrifying bacteria using inorganic carbon source (bicarbonate) and organic carbon source (bicarbonate + glucose) was performed in this study. Sequential batch reactors were inoculated by activated sludge (mixed culture of heterotrophic and nitrifying bacteria), and fed by synthetic wastewater contain high concentration of ammonium (1000 mg·L-1). Adapted nitrifying bacteria, only using bicarbonate as carbon source, caused nitrification at a rate of 41 mg L–1 h–1. The second reactor, which using bicarbonate and glucose as carbon source due to high C/N ratio resulting high growth of heterotrophic bacteria and result revealed a minor effect on nitrifying bacteria, and complete removal of ammonium occurred.
Keywords: Wastewater; nitrification; acclimatization; heterotrophic bacteria.
- Chen S, Ling J, Blancheton JP(2006) Nitrification kinetics of biofilm as affected by water quality factors. Aquacultural Engineering, 34(3):179-197.
- Dosta J, Galí A, Benabdallah El-Hadj T, Macé S, Mata-Álvarez J (2007) Operation and model description of a sequencing batch reactor treating reject water for biological nitrogen removal via nitrite. Bioresource Technology, 98(11):2065-2075.
- Mousavi S, Ibrahim S, Aroua MK, Ghafari S (2012) Development of nitrate elimination by autohydrogenotrophic bacteria in bio-electrochemical reactors–A review. Biochemical Engineering Journal, 67 251-264.
- Komorowska-Kaufman M, Majcherek H, Klaczynski E (2006) Factors affecting the biological nitrogen removal from wastewater. Process Biochemistry, 41(5):1015-1021.
- Carrera J, Vicent T, Lafuente J (2004) Effect of influent COD/N ratio on biological nitrogen removal (BNR) from high-strength ammonium industrial wastewater. Process Biochemistry, 39(12):2035-2041.
- Campos JL, Garrido-Fermindez JM, Méndez aRL, J. M (1999) Nitrification at high ammonia loading rates in an activated sludge unit. Bioresource Technology, 68(2):141-148.
- Okabe S, Oozawa Y, Hirata K, Watanabe Y (1996) Relationship between population dynamics of nitrifiers in biofilms and reactor performance at various C:N ratios. Water Research, 30(7):1563-1572.
- Wu G, Rodgers M, Zhan X (2008) Nitrification in sequencing batch reactors with and without glucose addition at 11 °C. Biochemical Engineering Journal, 40(2):373-378.
- Chen J, Zheng P, Yu Y, Mahmood Q, Tang C (2010) Enrichment of high activity nitrifers to enhance partial nitrification process. Bioresource Technology, 101(19):7293-7298.
- Van Kempen R, Mulder J, Uijterlinde C, Loosdrecht M ( 2001) Overview: full scale experience of the SHARON process for treatment of rejection water of digested sludge dewatering. Water Science and Technology, 44(1):145-152.
- Volcke EIP, Gernaey KV, Vrecko D, Jeppsson U, van Loosdrecht MCM, Vanrolleghem PA, Kroiss H (2006) Plant-wide(BSM 2) evaluation of reject water treatment with a SHARON-Anammox process, vol. 54: Citeseer.
- Blackburne R, Yuan Z, Keller J (2008) Demonstration of nitrogen removal via nitrite in a sequencing batch reactor treating domestic wastewater. Water Research, 42(8-9):2166-2176.
- Ruiz G, Jeison D, Chamy R: Nitrification with high nitrite accumulation for the treatment of wastewater with high ammonia concentration. Water Research 2003, 37(6):1371-1377.
- Mousavi S, Ibrahim S, Aroua MK ( 2012) Sequential nitrification and denitrification in a novel palm shell granular activated carbon twin-chamber upflow bio-electrochemical reactor for treating ammonium-rich wastewater. Bioresource Technology, 125(0):256-266.
- APHA et al. (2005) Standard methods for the examination of water & wastewater: Amer Public Health Assn.
- Van Benthum W, Van Loosdrecht M, Heijnen J ( 1997) Control of heterotrophic layer formation on nitrifying biofilms in a biofilm airlift suspension reactor. Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 53(4):397-405.
- Qiao S, Matsumoto N, Shinohara T, Nishiyama T, Fujii T, Bhatti Z, Furukawa K (2010) High-rate partial nitrification performance of high ammonium containing wastewater under low temperatures. Bioresource Technology, 101(1):111-117.
- Ciudad G, Rubilar O, Munoz P, Ruiz G, Chamy R, Vergara C, Jeison D (2005) Partial nitrification of high ammonia concentration wastewater as a part of a shortcut biological nitrogen removal process. Process Biochemistry, 40(5):1715-1719.