This study employs a data envelopment analysis approach to investigate the technical and scale efficiencies of apple fridges with respect to energy use preservation of products in Tehran province of Iran. The study also helps to identify the wasteful uses of energy by inefficient units and to establish the optimum level of energy from different inputs. Data used in this study were obtained from 18 apple fridges in Tehran province, Iran. The results revealed that, the total energy of 3056370 MJ/1000kg capacity was consumed for apple fridges and about 23% of apple fridges were found to be technically efficient and the technical, pure technical and scale efficiency scores of units were found to be 0.78, 0.86 and 0.90, respectively. The results also suggested that on average, a potential 583570 MJ/1000kg capacity (19.1%) reduction in total energy input could be achieved provided all units operated efficiently, assuming no other constraints on this adjustment.
Keywords: Energy input, Apple fridge, Technical efficiency, DEA
- Adler, N., Friedman, L., Sinuany-Stern, Z., 2002. “Review of ranking methods in the data envelopment analysis context”. European Journal of Operational Research 140, 249-265.
- Banker, R., Charnes, A., Cooper, W., 1984. “Some models for estimating technical and scale inefficiencies in data envelopment analysis”. Management Science 30, 1078–1092.
- Barnes, A.P., 2006. “Does multi-functionality affect technical efficiency? A non-parametric analysis of the Scottish dairy industry”. Journal of Environmental Management 80, 287-294.
- Canakci, M., Topakci, M., Akinci, I., Ozmerzi, A., 2005. “Energy use pattern of some field crops and vegetable production: Case study for Antalya Region, Turkey”. Energy Conversion and Management 46, 655-666.
- Chauhan, N.S., Mohapatra, P.K.J., Pandey, K.P., 2006. “Improving energy productivity in paddy production through benchmarking-An application of data envelopment analysis”. Energy Conversion and Management 47, 1063-1085.
- Cooper, W., Seiford L, M., Tone, K., 2004. “Data Envelopment Analysis, A comprehensive text with models, applications, references and DEA-solver software”. Massachusetts, USA: Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- Despotis, D.K., Stamati, L.V., Smirlis, Y.G., 2010. “Data envelopment analysis with nonlinear virtual inputs and outputs”. European Journal of Operational Research 202, 604-613.
- Erdal, G., Esengün, K., Erdal, H., Gündüz, O., 2007. “Energy use and economical analysis of sugar beet production in Tokat province of Turkey”. Energy 32, 35-41.
- Fraser, I., Cordina, D., 1999. “An application of data envelopment analysis to irrigated dairy farms in Northern Victoria, Australia”. Agricultural Systems 59, 267-282.
- Galanopoulos, K., Aggelopoulos, S., Kamenidou, I., Mattas, K., 2006. “Assessing the effects of managerial and production practices on the efficiency of commercial pig farming”. Agricultural Systems 88, 125-141.
- Iráizoz, B., Rapún, M., Zabaleta, I., 2003. “Assessing the technical efficiency of horticultural production in Navarra, Spain”. Agricultural Systems 78, 387-403.
- Malana, N.M., Malano, H.M., 2006. “Benchmarking productive efficiency of selected wheat areas in Pakistan and India using data envelopment analysis”. Irrigation and Drainage 55, 383-394.
- Mobtaker, H.G., Keyhani, A., Mohammadi, A., Rafiee, S., Akram, A., 2010. “Sensitivity analysis of energy inputs for barley production in Hamedan Province of Iran”. Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment 137, 367-372.
- Nassiri, S.M., Singh, S., 2009. “Study on energy use efficiency for paddy crop using data envelopment analysis (DEA) technique”. Applied Energy 86, 1320-1325.
- Omid, M., Ghojabeige, F., Delshad, M., Ahmadi, H., 2010. “Energy use pattern and benchmarking of selected greenhouses in Iran using data envelopment analysis”. Energy Conversion and Management 52, 153-162.
- Rafiee, S., Mousavi Avval, S.H., Mohammadi, A., 2010. “Modeling and sensitivity analysis of energy inputs for apple production in Iran”. Energy 35, 3301-3306.
- Reig-Martínez, E., Picazo-Tadeo, A.J., 2004. “Analysing farming systems with Data Envelopment Analysis: citrus farming in Spain”. Agricultural Systems 82, 17-30.
- Scheel, H., 2000. “EMS: efficiency measurement system users manual, Ver. 1.3, Operations Research and Wirtschaftsinformatik”. University of Dortmund. Dortmund, Germany; <http://www.wiso.uni-dortmund.de/lsfg/or/scheel/ems>.
- Zhang, X., Huang, G.H., Lin, Q., Yu, H., 2009. “Petroleum-contaminated groundwater remediation systems design: A data envelopment analysis based approach”. Expert Systems with Applications 36, 5666-5672.
- Zhou, P., Ang, B.W., Poh, K.L., 2008. “A survey of data envelopment analysis in energy and environmental studies”. European Journal of Operational Research 189, 1-18.