Waste polymer recycling has received a great attention due to increasing amounts of waste polymers generate enormous environmental problems. This study investigates catalytic cracking of mixture of polymers (HDPE, LDPE, PP, PS, PVC and PET) as an effective method to recycle these polymers and focuses on kinetic parameters of the reaction. The catalyst chosen is AIT100 that is a novel catalyst made in research center of Abadan institute of technology. The catalyst made is in acidic catalyst group that is suitable for cracking of heavy hydrocarbons. Kinetic analysis is based on Arrhenius equation. The results indicates that increasing of the catalyst leads to increasing of the reaction constant and also decrease on activation energy required to cracking of the polymers mixed. All the experiments have been carried out at temperature of 380-450 ºC, using 10-50% catalyst/polymer ratio. Finally the maximum yield of the reaction obtained in high temperature 450 C and catalyst ratio of 50% that include 84% liquid hydrocarbon (C5-C10) and 13% gas (C1– C4) with less percent of residue. The experiments show that increasing of the catalyst leads to converting more polymers to middle distillate products.
Key words: Environment, cracking, kinetic analysis, fuel, mixed plastics, catalyst.
PDF Format of Article
- Q. Zhou, L. Zheng, Y.Z. Wang, GM. Zhao, B. Wang, “Catalytic degradation of low-density polyethylene and polypropylene using modiﬁed ZSM-5 zeolites”,. Polym Degrad Stab, 84, 493–497, 2004.
- J. Scheirs, “Polymer Recycling”, J. Wiley & Sons, 1998.
- G. P. Karayannidis, D. S. Achilias, “The chemical recycling of PET in the framework of sustainable development”, Water, Air & Soil Pollution: Focus, 4, 385, 2004.
- T. Paul, Williams and Ranbir. Bagri, “Hydrocarbon gases and oils from the recycling of polystyrene waste by catalytic pyrolysis”, international journal of energy research, 31–44, 2004.
- T. Maharana, Y. S. Negi, B. Mohanty, “Review article: Recycling of polystyrene”, Polymer-Plastics Technology and Engineering, 729-736, 2007.
- W.Zhao, S. Hasegawa, J. Fugito, F. Yoshii, T. Sasaki, K. Makuuchi, J. Sun, S. Nishimoto, “Effects of zeolites on the pyrolysis of polypropylene”, Polymer Degradation and Stability, 53, 129-135, 1996.
- W.C. McCaffrey, M.R. Kamal, D.G. Cooper, “Thermolysis of polyethylene”, Polymer Degradation and Stability, 47, 133-139, 1995.
- S.Y. Lee, J.H. Yoon, J.R. Kim, D.W. Park, “Degradation of polystyrene using clinoptilolite catalysts”, Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis, 64, 71–83, 2002.
- D.S. Achilias, I. Kanellopoulou, P. Megalokonomos, E. Antonakou, A. Lappas, “Chemical Recycling of Polystyrene by Pyrolysis: Potential Use ofthe Liquid Product for the Reproduction of Polymer”, Macromolecular, 292, 923–934, 2007.
- S.M. Al-Salem, P. Lettieri, J. Baeyens, “Recycling and recovery routes of plastic solid waste (PSW): A review”, Waste Management, 29, 2625–2643, 2009.
- G.P. Karayannidis, S. Dimitris, “Chemical Recycling of Poly(ethylene terephthalate)”, Macromolecular Materials and Engineering, 292, 128–146, 2007.
- G. Audisio, A. Silvani, “Catalytic thermal degradation of polymers: Degradation ofpolypropylene”, Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis, 7, 83–90, 1984.
- G. Manos, A. Garforth, J. Dwyer, “Catalytic degradation of high-density polyethylene over different zeolitic structures”, Industrials & Engineering Chemistry Research, 39, 1198-1202, 2000.
- H. Ukei, T. Hirose, S. Horikawa, Y. Takai, M. Taka, N. Azuma, A. Ueno, “Catalytic degradation of polystyrene into styrene and a design of recyclable polystyrene with dispersed catalysts”, Catalysis Today, 62, 67-75, 2000.
- J. Aguado, et al, “Catalytic conversion ofpolyolefins into liquid fuels over MCM-41: Comparison with ZSM-5 and amorphous SiO2-Al2O3”, Energy & Fuels, 1225-1231, 1997.
- A. Lَpez, I. De Marco, B.M. Caballero, M.F. Laresgoiti, A. Adrados, A. Aranzabal, “Catalytic pyrolysis of plastic wastes with two different types of catalysts: ZSM-5 zeolite and red mud”,Applied Catalysis B: Environmental, 104, 211-219, 2011.
- J. Shah, J.M. Rasul, F. Mabood, F. Jabeen, “Catalytic pyrolysis of LDPE leads to valuable resource recovery and reduction ofwaste problems”, Energy Convers Manage, 51, 2791–2801, 2010.
- J.M. Encinar, J.F. Gonza´lez, “Pyrolysis of synthetic polymers and plastic wastes. Kinetic study”, Fuel Process Technol, 89, 678–686, 2008.
- G.D.L. Puente, C. Klocker, U .Sedran, “Conversion of waste plastics into fuels recycling polyethylene in FCC”, Appl Catal B, 36, 279–285, 2002.
- S.M. Salem, P. Lettieri, “Kinetic study of high density polyethylene (HDPE) pyrolysis”, Chem Eng Res Des, 88, 1599–1606, 2010.
- F. Tiziano, B. Giulia, C. Mauro, R. Eliseo, D. Mario, “Kinetic modeling of the thermal degradation of polyethylene and polystyrene mixtures”, J Anal Appl Pyrolysis, 70, 761–777, 2003.
- D. Hooshmand, B. Roozbehani, A. Badakhshan, “Thermal and Catalytic Degradation of Polystyrene with a Novel Catalyst”, International Journal of Science & Emerging Technologies, 5(1), 234-238, 2013.
- S. A. Sakaki, B. Roozbehani, M. Shishesaz, N. Abdollahkhani, “Catalytic degradation of the mixed polyethylene and polypropylene into middle distillate products”, Clean Technologies and Environmental Policy, 1-10, 2013.
- M.A. Jaśkiewicz, “Production of Liquid Fuels from Recycled Plastics using Acidic HNaY Catalysts”.
- T.T. Weia, K.J. Wua, S.L. Leeb, Y.H. Lin, “Chemical recycling of post-consumer polymer waste over fluidizing cracking catalysts for producing chemicals and hydrocarbon fuels”, Resources, Conservation and Recycling, 54, 952–961, 2010.
- K.H. Lee, D.H. Shin, “Catalytic degradation of waste polyolefinic polymers using spent FCC catalyst with various experimental variables”, Korean J Chem Eng, 20(1), 89–92, 2003.
- N.S. Akpanudoh, K. Gobin, G. Manos, “Catalytic degradation of plastic waste to liquid fuel over commercial cracking catalysts Effect of polymer to catalyst ratio/acidity content”, Journal of Molecular Catalysis A: Chemical, 235, 67–73, 2005.
- J.M. Encinar, J.F. González, “Pyrolysis of synthetic polymers and plastic wastes: Kinetic study”, Fuel Processing Technology, 89, 678-686, 2008.
- S. Sarathy, M.D. Wallis, S. Bhatia, “Effect of Catalyst Loading On Kinetics of Catalytic Degradation Of High Density Polyethylene: Experiment And Modelling”, Chemical Engineering Science, 65, 796–806, 2010.