The development of society depends on their capacity to learn and adapt to new realities and new circumstances. In Longworth (2006) opinion, a Learning society is a city, town or region which employs all its resources in every sector to develop all the human potential for the foresting of personal growth, the maintenance of social cohesion, and the creation of prosperity. One of the important topics about development, especially sustainable development, is environment. Environment defines as the whole things surrounding us, which, totally, divide to two clusters: natural environment and artificial environment. Between 1998 and 2001 the TELS project was performed by European Commission. One of the most important recommendations in this project to achieving The Learning Cities is to involve people in designing strategies for, and monitoring their environment. Considering that citizenship education is classified as informal education, And also according to the subject of this paper, Here, managers and policy makers and the populace have been addressed; and by using method of interview, educational actions of environmental related organizations has been analyzed. Then Hamzeabad district has chosen as the case study and with questionnaire and statistical methods, their level of environmental awareness and impact of environmental educations, on residents were analyzed and in conclusion Strategies to increase public awareness in order to promote environmental protection, has been provided.
Keywords:Learning City; Environment; citizens; managers and politicians; sustainable development.
PDF Format of Article
- Longworth, Norman (2006). Learning Cities, Learning Regions, Learning Communities: Lifelong Learning and Local Government. New York: Routledge.
- The National Paideia Center (no date). A Brief History of Paideia Philosophy.
- Faure, Edgar, et al (1972). Learning To Be: The world of education today and tomorrow. Paris: Unesco.
- Public education and Association Office of Environmental Protection organization (2008). Environmental Public education Comprehensive Plan. Tehran: Environmental Protection organization.
- Yang, Jin, Valdés-Cotera, Raْul (2011). Conceptual Evolution and Policy Developments in Lifelong Learning. Germany, Hamburg: UNESCO Institute for Lifelong Learning.
- Kwon, In Tak, Schied, Fred (no date). Building Communities into Lifelong Learning Cities: The Case of the Republic of Korea.
- Barati, Naser؛ Sameni, Amir (2011). Learning City: Requirements and guidelines. Tehran: Center of Studies and Planning of Tehran.
- Olewiler, Nancy (2006). Environmental sustainability for urban areas: The role of natural capital indicators. Vancouver: Department of Economics, Simon Fraser.
- Krizek, Kevin؛Power, Joe (2010) Sustainable Planning Regulation. (Behzadfar, Mostafa؛ Habibi, Kiomars, Translator and compiler). Tabriz: Mehr Iman Publication.
- Rafeei, Kambiz; Lotfi, Heidar (2010). Citizenship education and its role in substantiation and Achieving urban sustainable development: Case Study: Zone 5 Tehran. Human Geography Journal (4).
- Waste Management organization website: http://pasmand.tehran.ir. Reference date: 10.08.2013