Plastics have become a vital ingredient in the world. Due to their non-biodegradability and low life time, their huge wastes made environmental problems in the world. Chemical recycling of them plastics could be a promising method to overcome this problem. Waste plastics can be converted to feed-stocks or valuable liquid fuels by chemical recycling method. Current study focuses on catalytic conversion of mixed HDPE/LDPE/PP to hydrocarbon liquids and gases over a silico-alumina catalyst using a laboratory semi batch reactor operating isothermally at ambient pressure. Effect of catalyst percentage and reaction temperature on kinetics of the reaction is investigated in the current study. The liquid samples were analyzed using GC/FID to find out their composition. By using Arrhenius’s law, a kinetic model at optimum reaction conditions has been developed and activation energy determined. The reaction follows the first-order kinetic rate relationships. This model equation gives a suitable match with experimental results.
Keywords: catalytic degradation, polymer, catalyst, HDPE, LDPE, PP, Kinetics
PDF Format of Article
- Y.-H.Lin , M.-H. Yang , T.-T. Wei, C.-T.Hsu, K.-J.Wua, S.-L. Lee, Acid-catalyzed conversion of chlorinated plastic waste into valuable hydrocarbons over post-use commercial FCC catalysts,. J. Anal. Appl. Pyrolysis 87 (2010) 154–162.
- Miskolczi N (2004) Thermal and thermo-catalytic degradation of high density polyethylene waste. J Anal Appl Pyrol 72(2):235–242
- Buekens A, Huang H (1998) Catalytic plastics cracking for recovery of gasoline-range hydrocarbons from municipal plastic wastes. Resour Conserv Recycl 23:163–181
- Chaianansutcharit S, Katsutath R, Chaisuwan A, Bhaskar T, Nigo A, Muto A, Sakata Y (2007) Catalytic degradation of polyolefins over hexagonal mesoporous silica. Effect of aluminum addition. J. Anal Appl. Pyrolysis 80:360–368
- Lin YH, Yang MH (2007) Catalytic conversion of commingled polymer waste into chemicals and fuels over spent FCC commercial catalyst in a fluidised-bed reactor. Appl Catal B 69:145–153
- Lo´pez A, de Marco I, Caballero BM, Laresgoiti MF, Adrados A, Aranzabal A (2011) Catalytic pyrolysis of plastic wastes with two different types of catalysts: ZSM-5 zeolite and Red Mud. Appl Catal B 104:211–219
- Zhou Q, Zheng L, Wang YZ, Zhao GM, Wang B (2004) Catalytic degradation of low-density polyethylene and polypropylene using modified ZSM-5 zeolites. Polym Degrad Stab 84:493–497
- Marcilla A, Go0mez-Siurana A, Garcı0a Quesada JC, Berenguer D (2007) Characterization of high-impact polystyrene by catalytic pyrolysis over Al-MCM-41: study of the influence of the contact between polymer and catalyst. Polym Degrad Stab 92:1867–1872
- Alireza Sakaki • Behrooz Roozbehani • Mohammadreza Shishesaz • Nasrin Abdollahkhani, Catalytic degradation of the mixed polyethylene and polypropylene into middle distillate products, Seyed. Clean Techn Environ Policy.
- Blazso M (1999) Thermal decomposition of polymers modified by catalytic effects of copper and iron chlorides. J Anal Appl Pyrolysis 51:73–88
- Walendziewski J, Steininger M (2001) Thermal and catalytic conversion of waste polyolefines. Catal Today 65:323–330
- Shah J, Rasul JM, Mabood F, Jabeen F (2010) Catalytic pyrolysis of LDPE leads to valuable resource recovery and reduction of waste problems. Energy Convers Manage 51:2791–2801
- Encinar JM, Gonza´lez JF (2008) Pyrolysis of synthetic polymers and plastic wastes. Kinetic study. Fuel Process Technol 89:678–686
- Salem SM, Lettieri P (2010) Kinetic study of high density polyethylene (HDPE) pyrolysis. Chem Eng Res Des 88:1599–1606
- Tiziano F, Giulia B, Mauro C, Eliseo R, Mario D (2003) Kinetic modeling of the thermal degradation of polyethylene an polystyrene mixtures. J Anal Appl Pyrolysis 70:761–777
- Achyut KP, Singh RK, Mishra DK (2010) Thermolysis of waste plastics to liquid fuel, a suitable method for plastic waste management and manufacture of value added products—a world prospective. Renew Sustain Energy Rev 14:233–248
- Kumar S, Panda AK, Singh RK (2011) A review on tertiary recycling of high-density polyethylene to fuel. Resour Conserv Recycl 55:893–910