In this paper, the experimental investigation of cascade solar still and the cascade solar still connected to photovoltaic thermal collector is carried out. First, cascade solar still is constructed. Its tile angle is adjusted in 30 degree tangential situation on the ground. All experiments are done in the climate conditions of Zahedan thermal power plant for the spring season. The experimental data have been measured through two consecutive days. Due to good heat transfer between the photovoltaic panel and copper pipes, the output electrical power of photovoltaic panel has been increased. In the primary times of day, the efficiency of cascade solar still and the one connected to photovoltaic thermal collector is the same because of the low value of ambient temperature and solar radiation intensity. But at the noon (12:00 pm), the efficiency of cascade solar still connected to photovoltaic thermal collector is nearly 20 percent higher than simple cascade solar still due to the high value of ambient temperature and solar radiation intensity. Photovoltaic thermal collector has been used in order to supply the required DC electrical power of relay center of Zahedan power plant and the needed electrical power for circulating brackish water through the system.
Keyword: Solar energy, cascade solar still, photovoltaic thermal collector, energy analysis, thermal efficiency
- N. Tiwari, “Recent Advances in solar distillation”, Chapter 2, pp. 32-149. Wiley Estern, India, 1992.
- Mowla and G. Karimi, “Mathematical modeling of solar stills in Iran”, Solar Energy, Vol. 55 (5), pp. 389–393, 1995.
- De Paul, New model of a basin-type solar still, Journal of Solar Energy Engineering, Vol. 124, pp. 311–314, 2002.
- K. Tiwari and G.N. Tiwari, Effect of water depths on heat and mass transfer in a passive solar still: in summer climatic condition, Desalination, Vol. 195, No 1–3, pp. 78–94, 2006.
- C. Torchia-Núñez, M. A. Porta-Gándara, J. G. Cervantes-de Gortari, “Exergy analysis of a passive solar still”, Renewable Energy, Vol. 33, No 4, pp. 608–616, 2008.
- Dev and G. N. Tiwari, “Characteristic equation of a passive solar still”, Desalination, Vol. 245, pp. 246–265, 2009.
- A. El-Sebaii, A. A. Al-Ghamdi, F. S. Al-Hazmi, Adel S. Faidah, “Thermal performance of a single basin solar still with PCM as a storage medium”, Applied Energy, Vol. 86, pp. 1187–1195, 2009.
- Kumar, and G. N. Tiwari, “Analytical expression for instantaneous exergy efficiency of a shallow basin passive solar still”, International Journal of Thermal Sciences, Vol. 50, pp. 2543–2549, 2011.
- Taamneh and M. M., Taamneh, “Performance of pyramid-shaped solar still: Experimental study”, Desalination, Vol. 291, pp. 65–68, 2012.
- Rahbar and J. A. Esfahani, “Productivity estimation of a single-slope solar still: Theoretical and numerical analysis”, Energy, Vol. 49, pp. 289–297, 2013.
- Sh. Kumar and A. Tiwari, “An experimental study of hybrid Photovoltaic thermal (PV/T)- active solar still”, International Journal of Energy Research, Vol. 32, No. 9, pp. 847–858, 2008.