Identification and description of faults in an oilfield will help to prevent problems such as casing collapse, wellbore instability, and hydrocarbon leakage. One way to study the performance of faults is using formation micro imager logs. This type of log does this by fully imaging the wellbore wall. In this study major and minor faults were recognized and assessed through analyzing raw data by means of GEOFRAME® software at interval of 1816-2050 m in well Lali-26. Abrupt change of bed dip direction from southwest to northeast at 1816 m showed that there is a fault originated from over thrusting Asmari formation on Gachsaran formation. Furthermore there are several minor faults at deeper than 1845 m, which were mainly identified by lithology contrast. All of studied faults had E-W trend. The minor faults may be caused by compression of lower block in main fault.
Keywords: Fault, Lali, Asmari, Formation Micro Imager, Gachsaran
- Saedi, G., Soleimani, B., Charchi, A., Taghavipur, S., Identification and Analysis of Fractures Exiting in one Well in SE Iran using by FMI Image Log, the 1st International Applied Geological Congress, 26-28 April, Mashad, Iran.
- Movahed, Z, Dashti, R. & Chakravorty, S., 2007, “Geological and petrophysical analysis of FuIIBore Formation Micro Imager(FMI), Feild Ahvaz, Well #383”, Well Services of Iran (Schlumberger Methods), Report NISOC, No. p-5627, 64 pp.
- Fossen, H., Structural Geology, Cambridge University press, New York, first edition, 2010.
- Mohammadian, R., Taghavipoor, Sh., Ghanavati, K. & Karami, M., 2011, “Statistical analysis of fractures and investigation relative effects of reservoir parameters by fracture modeling in one of the south west oil field of Iran”, 14th. International oil, gas and petrochemical congress, No. 8971, 2 pp.
- Noraei Nezhad, Kh., Amiri Bakhtiar, H., Mohammadian, R., Azizi, A., Consideration of Geometric and Kinetic Parameters Fractures of Asmari Reservoir in Marum Field, Scientific Quarterly Journal, Geosciences, Vol. 24, No. 93, Autumn 2014.
- Abraham, M. L., Investigation of Thin Bed Strata Using Borehole Image Log And High Resolution Seismic Data, Ph.D. dissertation, University of Oklahoma, 2005.
- Rider, H., 1996. The Geological Interpretation of Well Logs. Gulf Publishing.
- Ye, S., Rabiller, P., 1998. Automated fracture detection on high resolution resistivity borehole imagery. In SPE annual technical conference and exhibition 777–784 pp.