Artificial neural network (ANN) was used for simultaneous spectrophotometric determination of trace quantities of palladium and cobalt in their binary mixtures as well as palladium, cobalt and copper in their ternary mixtures. The simultaneous determination method was developed based on formation of their complex with 1-(2-pridylazo)-2-naphtol (PAN) in sodium dodecyl sulfate (SDS) micellar media. Neural networks were trained by applying the back-propagation rule with Levenberg-Marquardt training algorithm. Affecting chemical and network parameters were optimized for obtaining the maximum sensitivity using a one at a time optimization procedure. The results showed a good agreement between measured and predicted values. Reproducibility and accuracy of the methods were checked for various known amounts of these metal ions in their mixtures. The effects of various ions on the selectivity of the methods were studied. The methods showed satisfactory results on the simultaneous determination of these metals in various aqueous matrices and several synthetic alloys.
Keywords: Simultaneous determination, Artificial neural network, Palladium, Cobalt, Copper
PDF Format of Article
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palladium (accessed November 5, 2015).
- Shu, B. P. A. Grandjean, A. Van Neste, S. Kaliaguine, Catalytic palladium-based membrane reactors: A review, Can. J. Chem. Eng. 69, 1036–1060, 1991 .
- A. Givan, Precious Metals in Dentistry, Dent Clin North Am. 51, 591–601, 2007.
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobalt (accessed November 5, 2015).
- R. Chakrabarty, D. Kalita, B. K. Das, Catalytic oxidation of p-xylene in water by cobalt(III) cubane cluster, Polyhedron 26, 1239–1244, 2007.
- http://www.epa.gov/rpdweb00/radionuclides/cobalt.html (accessed November 5, 2015).
- J. Schwarz, M. Kirchgessner, G. I. Stangl, Cobalt requirement of beef cattle – feed intake and growth at different levels of cobalt supply, J. Anim. Physiol. Anim. Nutr. 83, 121–131, 2000.
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper (accessed November 5, 2015).
- Wang, D. Zheng, C. Du, Z. Zou, X. Zhang, B. Xia, H. Yang, D.L. Akins, Carbon-supported Pd-Co bimetallic nanoparticles as electrocatalysts for the oxygen reduction reaction, J. Power Sourc. 167, 243–249, 2007.
- Serov, T. Nedoseykina, O. Shvachko, C. Kwak, Effect of precursor nature on the performance of palladium–cobalt electrocatalysts for direct methanol fuel cells, J. Power Sources 195, 175–180, 2010.
- C. Yang, A.S. Kumar, M.C. Kuo, S.H. Chien, J.M. Zen, Copper–palladium alloy nanoparticle plated electrodes for the electrocatalytic determination of hydrazine, Anal. Chim. Acta. 554, 66–73, 2005.
- L-H. Yu, S-M. Zhang, X. Guo, D. Wang, S-R. Wang, S.H. Wu, Influence of the addition of Pd and Cu to cobalt catalysts prepared by SMAI for F-T synthesis, CEJC 5, 144–155, 2007.
- M. Skelly Frame, J.A. King, D.A. Anderson,W.E. Balz, Direct Determination of Palladium and Cobalt in Phenol by Atomic Spectroscopy, Appl. Spectrosc. 47, 1276–1282, 1993.
- P. Heitland, H. Köster, Biomonitoring of 37 trace elements in blood samples from inhabitants of northern Germany by ICP–MS, J. Trace Elem. Med. Bio. 20, 253–262, 2006.
- M. Ivanov, O.V. Kuznetsova, O.V. Grineva, Adsorption preconcentration of cobalt and palladium and their separate determination in the adsorbent phase by chromaticity measurements and diffuse reflection spectroscopy, J. Anal. Chem. 54, 233–236, 1999.
- J. Mueller, R.J. Lovett, Determination of Pd and Co as Their Dithiocarbamate Complexes by Liquid Chromatography without Solvent Extraction, Anal. Lett. 18, 2399–2419, 1985.
- Kaur, J. Singh Aulakh, A. Kumar Malik, A new approach for simultaneous determination of Co(II), Ni(II), Cu(II) and Pd(II) using 2-thiophenaldehyde-3-thiosemicarbazone as reagent by solid phase microextraction–high performance liquid chromatography, Anal. Chim. Acta. 603, 44–50, 2007.
- Q. Zhang, H. Liu, H. Zhang, Y. F. Li, Simultaneous cathodic stripping voltammetric determination of mercury, cobalt, nickel and palladium by mixed binder carbon paste electrode containing dimethylglyoxime, Anal. Chim. Acta. 333, 119–124, 1996.
- Eskandari, H-point standard addition method—First derivative spectrophotometry for simultaneous determination of palladium and cobalt, Spectrochim. Acta Part A 63, 391–397, 2006.
- Eskandari, G. Bagherian Dehaghi, H-point standard addition method for simultaneous determination of palladium and cobalt, Microchim. Acta 146, 265–270, 2004.
- Bagherian, M. Arab Chamjangali , H. Eskandari, Simultaneous determination of cobalt and palladium in micellar media using H-point standard addition method and partial least square regression, Spectrochim. Acta Part A 67, 378–384, 2007.
- Eskandari, A. Ghanbari Saghseloo, Second and first-derivative spectrophotometry for efficient simultaneous and individual determination of palladium and cobalt using 1-(2-pyridylazo)-2-naphthol in sodium dodecylsulfate micellar media, Anal Sci. 19, 1513–1518, 2003.
- Arab Chamjangali, G. Bagherian, G. Azizi, Simultaneous determination of cobalt, nickel and palladium in micellar media using partial least square regression and direct orthogonal signal correction, Spectrochim. Acta Part A 62, 189–196, 2005.
- Eskandari, A. Ghanbari Saghseloo, M. Arab Chamjangali, First- and Second-Derivative Spectrophotometry for Simultaneous Determination of Copper and Cobalt by 1-(2-Pyridylazo)-2-naphthol in Tween 80 Micellar Solutions, Turk. J. Chem. 30, 49–63, 2006.
- Hasani, L. Yaghoubi, H. Abdollahi, H-point standard addition method for simultaneous determination of Fe(II), Co(II) and Cu(II) in micellar media with simultaneous addition of three analytes, Talanta 68, 1528–1535, 2006.
- Kaur, A. Kumar Malik, N. Verma, Simultaneous determination of Cu(II) and Pd(II) as 4-phenylpiperazinecarbodithioate complex using H-point standard addition method and derivative spectrophotometry Turk. J. Chem. 34, 295–305, 2010.
- R. Khanchi, M. Khayatzadeh Mahani, M. Hajihosseini, M. Ghanadi Maragheh, M. Chaloosi, F. Bani, Simultaneous spectrophotometric determination of caffeine and theobromine in Iranian tea by artificial neural networks and its comparison with PLS, Food Chem. 103, 1062–1068, 2007.
- Rezaei, A.A. Ensafi, F. Shandizi, Simultaneous determination of cobalt and nickel by spectrophotometric method and artificial neural network, Microchem. J. 70, 35–40, 2001.
- Isha, N. Azah Yusof, M. Abdul Malik, H. Hamdan, Simultaneous spectrophotometric determination of Pb(II) and Cd(II) using artificial neural networks, Journal Physical Science 18, 1–10, 2007.
- Abbaspour, L. Baramakeh, Application of principle component analysis–artificial neural network for simultaneous determination of zirconium and hafnium in real samples, Spectrochim. Acta Part A 64, 477–482, 2006.
- Kisi, E. Uncuoglu, Comparition of three back- propagation training algorithms for two case studies, Indian J. Eng. Mater. Sci. 12, 434–442, 2005.
- Bassett, R. C. Denney, G. H. Jeffery, and J. Mendham, Textbook of Quantitative Inorganic Analysis, fifth ed., Longman Group Limited, New York, 1989.
- B. Sandell, Colorimetric Determination of Traces of Metals, third ed., Interscience Publishers, New York, 1959.
- http://radio.feld.cvut.cz/matlab/toolbox/nnet/backpr52.html (accessed November 5, 2015).
- http://radio.feld.cvut.cz/matlab/toolbox/nnet/backpr17.html (accessed November 5, 2015).
- Blanco, J. Coello, H. Iturriaga, S. Maspoch, M. Redon, Principal component regression for mixture resolution in control analysis by UV-visible spectrophotometry, Appl. Spectrosc. 48, 37–43, 1994.
- http://radio.feld.cvut.cz/matlab/toolbox/nnet/backpr22.html (accessed November 5, 2015).