Pentachlorophenol (PCP) is a very hazardous compound that enters into the environment by industries such as refinery and petrochemical industry. As its biological degradation is very slow, this use may be caused pollution of soils and groundwater. Here we compare the results obtained by electro-Fenton and Sono-electro-Fenton treatment methods on the degradation of pentachlorophenol. Better performance arises from the coupling between ultrasound irradiation and the Electro Fenton process. The effect of operating parameters such as hydrogen peroxide concentration, solution pH and treatment time was studied. The results showed that Sono-E-F process was able to remove the higher amount of pentachlorophenol (PCP) by consuming the smallest amount of H2O2 at least time In comparison with the E-F process. The PCP degradation kinetics was studied and compared for two processes.
Keywords: PCP; Sono- Electro Fenton; process; electro-Fenton; kinetic model
- T.C. Wang, G. Qu, J. Li, N. Luc, Kinetics studies on pentachlorophenol degradation in soil during pulsed discharge plasma process, Journal of Electrostatics,71, 994-998, 2013.
- J. Zhang, P. Ye, S. Chen, and W. Wang, Removal of pentachlorophenol by immobilized horseradish peroxidase, Journal of International Biodeterioration & Biodegradation, 59, 307–314, 2007.
- N. T. Thuan, M. B. Chang, Investigation of the degradation of pentachlorophenol in sandy soil via low temperature pyrolysis, Journal of Hazardous Materials 229– 230, 411– 418, 2012.
- Y. Kumar, K. M. Popat, H. Brahmbhatt, B. Ganguly, and A. Bhattacharya, pentachlorophenol removal from water using surfactant-enhanced filtration through low-pressure thin film composite membranes, Journal of Hazardous Materials, 154, 426–431, 2008.
- J. Niu, J. Xu, Y. Dai, J. Xu, H. Guo, K. Sun, and R. Liuet, Immobilization of horseradish peroxidase by electrospun fibrous membranes for adsorption and degradation of pentachlorophenol in water, Journal of Hazardous Materials, 246– 247, p.119– 125, 2013.
- Y. Wang, D. Zhang, F. Rong He , and X. Chun Chen, Immobilization of laccase by Cu2+ chelate affinity interaction on surface modified magnetic silica particles and its use for the removal of pentachlorophenol, Journal of Chinese Chemical Letters, 23, 197–200, 2012.
- Z., Yu, G. M., Zenga, Y. N. Chena, J. C. Zhanga, Y. Yua, H. Li , Z. F. Liu, and , L. Tang , Effects of inoculation with Phanerochaete chrysosporium on remediation of pentachlorophenol-contaminated soil waste by composting, Journal of Process Biochemistry, 46, 1285–1291, 2011.
- J. Zimbron, and K. F. Reardon, Fenton’s oxidation of pentachlorophenol, Journal of water Research, 43, 1831 – 1840, 2009.
- J. Zhang, P. Ye, S. Chen, and W. Wang, removal of pentachlorophenol by immobilized horseradish peroxidase, Jornal of International Biodeterioration & Biodegradation, 59, 307–314, 2007.
- Y. Li, Y. Zhang, J. Li, and X. Zheng, enhanced removal of pentachlorophenol by a novel composite: Nanoscale zero valent iron immobilized on organobentonite, Environmental Pollution, 159, 3744-3749, 2011.
- E. Atmaca, Treatment of landfill leachate by using electro-Fenton method, Journal of Hazardous Materials, 163, 109–114, 2009.
- W.H. Glaze, an overview of advanced oxidation processes: current status and kinetic models, Journal of Chemical. Oxidation, 2, 44-57,1994.
- A. Babuponnusami, and K. Muthukumar, advanced oxidation of phenol: A comparison between Fenton, electro-Fenton, sono-electro-Fenton and photo-electro-Fenton processes, Journal of Chemical Engineering, 183, 1– 9, 2012.
- S. N. Giray, D. Aktas, M. Dolaz, Y. Uysal, Removal of dye from real textile wastewater by sono-electro-Fenton oxidation process, Journal of selçuk university natural and applied science, 2014.
- C. Petrier, A. Juenet, J-L. Luche, G. Reverdy, Unexpected frequency effects on the rate of oxidative processes induced by ultrasound, Journal of Am. Chem. Soc., 114, 3148-3150, 1992.
- Z.Heidari,M. Motavasel, N. jaafarzadeh, Application of Electro-Fenton (EF) process to the removal of pentachlorophenol from aqueous solutions, Iranian Journal of Oil & Gas Science and Technology, 4, 76-87, 2015.
- S. Sahinkaya, COD and color removal from synthetic textile wastewater by ultrasound assisted electro-Fenton oxidation process, Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry, 19, 601–605, 2013.
- P.V, Nidheesh, and R. Gandhimathi, trends in electro-Fenton process for water and wastewater treatment: an overview, Journal of Desalination, 299, 1–15, 2012.
- F., Javier Benitez, J.L. Acero, F.J. Real, F.J., J. Garc, Kinetics of photodegradation and ozonation of pentachlorophenol, Journal of Chemosphere, 51, 651–662,2003.
- Y. Li, J. Niu, L. Yin, W Wang, Y. Bao, J. Chen, Y. Duan, Photocatalytic degradation kinetics and mechanism of pentachlorophenol based on superoxide radicals, Journal of Environmental Sciences, 23, 11, 1911–1918, 2011.