Ni particles with a so simple procedure were deposited on the graphite rod, and the performance of the proposed electrode was investigated for electrocatalytic oxidation of methyl phenyl sulfide in acidic media. It was found that performance of the Ni-modified electrode for oxidation of sulfide is successful. Voltammetric and amperometric studies showed, lower onset potential and higher anodic current density for methyl phenyl sulfide oxidation by Ni modified graphite electrode.
In addition to these advantages, due to use of acetic acid as biodegradable solvent, makes this a cost-effective and environmentally benign methodology.
Keyword: Methyl phenyl sulfide, electrocatalytic oxidation, Graphite electrode, Nickel
- Rayati, S., et al., Ni (II) and V (IV) Schiff base complexes derived from 2, 2′-dimethylpropandiamine: the crystal structure, electrochemical properties and catalytic activities in oxidation of sulfides. Journal of Coordination Chemistry, 2017. 70(8): p. 1424-1437.
- Rayati, S., F. Nejabat, and S. Zakavi, Chemoselective oxidation of sulfides to sulfoxides with urea hydrogen peroxide (UHP) catalyzed by non-, partially and fully β-brominated meso-tetraphenylporphyrinatomanganese (III) acetate. Inorganic Chemistry Communications, 2014. 40: p. 82-86.
- Houghton, D. and A. Humffray, Anodic oxidation of diaryl sulphides—I. diphenyl sulphide in sulphate and perchlorate media. Electrochimica Acta, 1972. 17(8): p. 1421-1433.
- Bagherzadeh, M. and M. Zare, Oxidation of sulfides with urea–hydrogen peroxide catalyzed by iron–salen complexes. Journal of Sulfur Chemistry, 2011. 32(4): p. 335-343.
- Ferdowsi, G.S., S. Seyedsadjadi, and A. Ghaffarinejad, Ni nanoparticle modified graphite electrode for methanol electrocatalytic oxidation in alkaline media. Journal of Nanostructure in Chemistry, 2015. 5(1): p. 17-23.
- Xie, S., et al., CNT–Ni/SiC hierarchical nanostructures: preparation and their application in electrocatalytic oxidation of methanol. Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 2013. 1(6): p. 2104-2109.
- Cao, H., et al., Ball-flower-shaped Ni nanoparticles on Cu modified TiO 2 nanotube arrays for electrocatalytic oxidation of methanol. Electrochimica Acta, 2014. 125: p. 275-281.
- Zhang, H., et al., Anchoring three-dimensional network structured Ni–P nanowires on reduced graphene oxide and their enhanced electrocatalytic activity towards methanol oxidation. Electrochemistry Communications, 2013. 35: p. 108-111.
- Ren, L., K.S. Hui, and K.N. Hui, Self-assembled free-standing three-dimensional nickel nanoparticle/graphene aerogel for direct ethanol fuel cells. Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 2013. 1(18): p. 5689-5694.
- Raoof, J.B., R. Ojani, and S.R. Hosseini, An electrochemical investigation of methanol oxidation on nickel hydroxide nanoparticles. South African Journal of Chemistry, 2013. 66(1): p. 47-53.
- Ureta-Zañartu, M.S., et al., Electro-oxidation of benzyl and aliphatic alcohols on polyNiTSPc-and Ni (OH) 2-modified glassy-carbon and gold electrodes. Int J Electrochem Sci, 2012. 7: p. 8794-8812.
- Ferdowsi, G.S., S.A. Seyedsadjadi, and A. Ghaffarinejad, Electroless Deposition of the Ni Nanoparticles on the Graphite Electrode for Glucose Oxidation. 2014.